Sunday, August 08, 2010

Long Road to Home

Obviously the move took all my time and energy for all of July and on into August.  Oh well...

I cannot believe how much time it took to pack.  I was the most ADD packer ever.  The hard part is trying to pack a Fiestaware service for almost fifty (yes, that's 50) into boxes that a human woman can carry down a flight of stairs, into a U-Haul, 1900 miles across the country and then into a pick-up truck that ferried everything up the driveway from hell and on into the treehouse and then upstairs to the main floor.  Whew!  So I'd layer a blanket or two, a layer of newspaper wrapped fiestaware and then I'd run all over the house looking for soft, light things to top off the box.  Which is why the box of bowls was crammed with all the dog toys and most of my clothes ended up on top of fiestaware, which made for some interesting unpacking too.

And then I made the brilliant decision to attend Skate St. Paul for the weekend before I left and did half of building the competition and printed the whole thing.  Sometimes I think I'm wonder woman when I'm really just wondering where my brains are?  So gone til Sunday late, picked up the trailer on Tuesday and packed it all day Tuesday and Wednesday.  Or rather I packed it in the early morning and late at night when it was slightly less than 90 degrees with humidity so bad it felt like swimming, yuck!

Thursday morning I was still packing but I managed to get out of town by noon.  I know, what a joke huh?  But it was the best I could do.  I had to drop a bunch of things off at the local pack and ship place, stuff I had to have but could not find a safe place to pack.  And I was afraid the car would not be able to move the load at that point, really, it was riding low.

Well, my usual 8 hour days turned into 10 hour days simply because you can't go as fast towing a 6x12 foot U-Haul, but we made it to Kearney, NE that night safely and stayed at my favorite, pet friendly Microtel.  You may laugh but finding a decent (not stinky, dirty or expensive) place to stay with pets is hard.  Often they'll not only put you up in a cruddy been smoked in room that hasn't been refurbished for 20 years and then they'll charge you 20 bucks for each pet on top.  This Microtel is the BEST, clean, kind, pet friendly and no extra charges.  I would stay there without my pets and I am a hotel snob.

I did manage to leave the front seat empty and padded it with dog blankets so the boys could take turns sleeping up front.  Dandy liked it best.

Next is day two to Rock Springs, Wyoming; day three to Winnmucca, Nevada and day four over the Donner Summit to Grass Valley, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment