Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Hanging out at the homestead.

My Dad has been my home since I was 16, doesn't matter where he is or where I was, he was home to me.  It's with great pleasure that I now can wander over to his property and see him almost whenever I want, unless he's not home, which is more often than not.

If he's not there I'll just meander around and look at things, like trees and all the divine junk down at the barn.  He likes to collect things, treasures dug up from the old mining days.  And he does unusual things, like stick them on trees and into walls of stone.  This combines two of my favorite things, trees and cool junk, as you can see here.


This is a trio of locust trees close to the house.  They're messy and tend to drop large limbs in storms and have the most nasty thorns, but the foliage is pretty and lacy and they seem to endure if trimmed back.  They've developed wonderful moss colonies, which look like forest worlds for tiny creatures.  I'd like to shrink down and wander around in them.  I wonder what it would feel like to stretch out in a moss bower, maybe bring a friend.

It was a brisk day with nice sun which was causing some steam to rise as it warmed the trees, either that or they were smoking or breathing.  We recently chose cartoon characters on facebook to use as our profiles.  For some reason I chose Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, she always scared me when I was small but I think her power could be used to good end.  I completely forgot my all time favorite book character, the Lorax.  I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees.  Remember?  Dr. Suess?  I'll have to remember to talk about favorite children's stories one of these days.

And then I headed home to pound some metal, 12 gauge fine silver to be exact, completely luscious stuff which begs to be worn.   Heavy chain is pretty sexy stuff, this gleams with that cool fine silver sheen and has enough weight to remind you it's there, a perfect gift.
And I had a fine conversation with a great friend about our emotions.  We've both been guilty of suppressing our emotions for years and years.  I've been working on uncovering mine for some time now, she's just beginning.  I've found that I cry more now, but I also laugh harder and feel more joy in each day.  As for love, that remains to be discovered.

Peace to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment