Sunday, October 03, 2010

Treehouse Again - First October Picture

I am endlessly fascinated by the view from my treehouse deck.  It's beautiful almost 24 hours a day, though I don't stay up to see it much past midnight.

We've got these large flocks of vultures that like to wheel around in the sky and occasionally they roost in the top branches of the tree across the road.  A couple of days ago there were 10 or 15 of them and as the sun started to rise they spread their wings and just sat there as if greeting the sun god.  I suppose if you had a really bad hangover you'd tend to think they were waiting for you.

There hasn't been much in the cloud department for a couple of months but when they show up they produce some fabulous sunsets.  Last night the bands of clouds were lavender, rose, and a deep purple, it was stunning.  I've been experimenting with my new droid phone, which has an awesome camera feature with some very cool special effects.  It was either on posterize or solarize when I took this one, makes it look like I live on Venus.

And I'm finding more interesting local flora, fauna and bugga.  Just as I was going to turn off my light a couple of nights ago I heard this large whirring and something splatted up against the wall and stuck.  I had to see what it was.  It was a very large praying mantis, very green and about 3 or 4 inches long, beautiful.  I didn't want it to end up stuck in the house and starving so I captured her or him and took it back outside to the dark night.  I'd much rather find a praying mantis in my bedroom than one of the countless spiders I'm always finding.  Sorry no pic, too late at night but I'll see what I can find around the house.

Happy day

No comments:

Post a Comment