Sunday, October 31, 2010

October Harvest

Isn't this gorgeous?

Today was the last growers market day in Grass Valley so I couldn't resist scooping up as many goodies as I could.  I bought out the pie pumpkin lady's entire remaining stock along with tomatoes, acorn squash, bell peppers, kiwis, avocadoes, butternut squash, apples, pomegranites and fuyu persimmons.  It's still hard for me to believe I can buy kiwis, avocadoes and persimmons that came from local trees, but I'll get used to it somehow.

The next couple of days I'll be busy roasting the pumpkins and freezing the mush for pies.  I'll be making plans to spend a day at Apple Hill soon to get a whole bunch of apples, yum.

This season is bittersweet in many ways, bringing us a great abundance of beautiful produce along with the certainty that summer has ended and the long winter has begun.  On warm sunny days we linger outside, dressed in jeans and thick sweatshirts, happy to feel that last burst of fading sunshine mixed with chilly air seasoned with the smell of woodsmoke.  The night drops more quickly into blackness and the wool blankets come out of storage to make cuddling a delightful past time on icy nights.

A great good friend has experienced great loss in this month, death and sadness which has made this a difficult month to bear.  My own health event has marked this a significant month.  And so we talked of endings and pondered ways to find peace in the midst of grief.  I believe we can only try to temper the grief and loss with memories and take the small celebrations to heart.  This month means leaves fall and the air turns cool and I for one start to dread the bleak November just ahead, which magnifies the losses of October.  I'm going to work hard to find beauty in the next month and will share with you.  And if that fails I'll bake up a pumpkin pie, smother it in fresh whipped cream, pour myself a large glass of wine, start the fire and call a friend.  I figure at least one of those things will warm my heart and my feet.

Love you A, you always make me laugh.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment