Monday, May 13, 2013

Riot of fun

My son flew into town last Friday and so far it's been non-stop fun.

Friday we stopped to see his Grandparents first thing and later went out for beer and ended up in Nevada City at the Crazy Horse for some really good blues music played by local folk.  I can't tell you how happy I am that the Crazy Horse is open as a bar/music venue again.  I was dancing there in my early 20's and now I see my young friends enjoying it there.  I guess the only rant I have is the men my age trying to move in on my 21 year old housemate and her friends, really?  WTF?  Don't they realize how creepy they are?  And they also didn't realize how close they were to getting stomped, first by me and then by my son, but we played nice and ignored them for the most part.  I'll expand on this sometime in another post.

Saturday we went to breakfast with family again and then to the Range to see Frank Whaley's new ultrasonic gun cleaning machine in person.  And of course I had to bring in something to be cleaned, wow!  It's pretty slick.  If you want a really clean and oiled firearm this is the place to go.  We also did some target practice.  Later we wandered up to the Independence trail for a nice stroll down to Rush Creek, saw lots of newts in the water and several different wildflowers, the fairy lanterns were in abundance.  Then home to clean up and back to Nevada City to Lefty's Grill for some really good food.

Sunday - Mother's Day - A family gathering, first large meal on the new deck, bubbly and oj, fruit salad, Goat Cheese Egg Bake and Grant's famous apple pannekoeken.  What a heavenly way to spend a couple of hours, surrounded by young and old in a beautiful setting.  I didn't even have to do the clean-up.  And then I took a long nap.  In the evening we drove to Sacramento to Harlow's to see a group called Yo La Tengo, which to my musician son was intriguing, he called them one of the pioneers of Indie Rock.  I can't say I loved them but after their first slow set they did a rockin' second set that made me like them a lot.

And along the way I've gotten to hear the entire new album from Little Radar, which is not out yet but will be I think by early August.  It's incredible.  I hope I can get to Austin for the release party.

Today we're sleeping in and will go to Truckee for some exploring.  I have an ulterior motive in this because Truckee has the only good bagel place within two hours of here.

Tomorrow he goes back and I will start missing him again.


No comments:

Post a Comment