Thursday, April 18, 2013

Next round enameling, part two


Here are my assorted blanks, drilled, textured, shaped, smoothed and ready to go.  I have a few older pieces of PMC Fine Silver that I want to add enamel to, the big medallion has 24k gold applied.

You need to keep careful color records, so I've got the pieces on a sheet of paper and will make notations as I go.

Next is to start picking some colors.

This is where it gets really interesting and fun.  I'll fire up the kiln and start playing with color.  I scored a couple of boxes of old enamels from a friend, there are quite a few things in there I think I can use, we shall see.  I haven't had any of the opalized colors.

Did you know enamel is a catch all term for applying glass to metal?  The various techniques include cloisonne, basse taille, champleve, sgraffito, grisaille, plique-au-jour, limoges and guilloche.

Most people are familiary with cloisonne and often call all enamel work by that term.  Cloisonne is French for cell.  This technique makes cells, usually from wire and then the enamel is filled into the cell with many applications.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment